Picking the perfect bikini starts with knowing your body shape and learning which styles of swimwear suit it best. Are you Hourglass or Inverted Triangle shaped? Follow our guide to find out!
What Is Your Body Shape?
Everyone's body is unique and when it comes to choosing swimwear, you need to choose the bikini that’s perfect for you – not the model wearing it in the catalog. So let’s start by deciding which one of these 7 body types below closest fits your description.
- Bottom Hourglass(Pear)
- Top Hourglass
- Inverted Triangle
Keep in mind that your body shape isn’t about weight – you can have a Triangle, Hourglass or Rectangle body shape at any weight.
Another thing to remember is that everyone's body is unique, and you may feel your body fits none of these types – or more than one!
How To Pick a Bikini for the Hourglass Body Shape?
If your body shape is an hourglass, you're lucky! This silhouette is naturally proportional and balanced. The key is to accentuate your beautiful, clearly defined waist and great legs - your best assets.
As an hourglass, you should wear:
- Tops with straps mid-way across the shoulder and simple or string bikini bottoms. In your case, simplicity is critical; these minimalist bikinis won't take the attention off your beautiful silhouette.
- Strapless or bandeau tops with simple bottoms.
- Ruffled or embellished bikini sets that accentuate your curves.
- Make sure that the colors of your top and bottom match - mixing colors can make your body look disproportional.
- One-piece swimsuits with a wrap waist will enhance your waist. Remember to keep the color relatively uniform across the bust and hips.
How To Pick a Bikini for the Top Hourglass Body Shape?
A top hourglass body type is very similar to the regular hourglass. The main difference is that your bust is visibly larger than your hips. The trick in picking a flattering bikini is to find one that accentuates your waist and optically balances the top and bottom.
As a top hourglass, you should wear:
- Simple, solid color halter tops or triangle tops. You can pair them with patterned and embellished bottoms.
- Darker tops and lighter bikini bottoms to optically balance your bust and hips.
- Retro-style one-piece suits with a ruffle around the hips.
- Tankinis with a simple halter top, paired with ruffled or embellished bottoms.
How To Pick a Bikini for the Bottom Hourglass(pear) Body Shape?
A bottom hourglass, also known as the pear body type, has a clearly accentuated waist and a bust visibly smaller than the hips. The key in picking a swimsuit is for this body type is to find one that adds volume to your upper body while keeping the bikini bottom as simple as possible. You should also emphasize your waist to achieve a balanced silhouette.
As a bottom hourglass, you should wear:
- Patterned, ruffled and embellished tops with wide-set straps - they will enhance your upper body. You can also choose push-up tops for some extra volume.
- Light colored tops with darker bottoms. Steer away from high-coverage bottoms, though, as they will make your hips appear wider.
- One piece swimsuits with wide-set straps and higher-cut legs.
- Tankinis with light colored, embellished and padded tops. Pair them with darker bottoms.
How To Pick a Bikini for the Spoon Body Shape?
If you're a spoon, your hips are much wider than your bust and have a shelf-like appearance. Your best assets are your lower legs and arms, so make sure to show them off! The trick to picking the right bikini is to find one that minimizes the attention to your tummy and hips.
As a spoon, you should wear:
- Patterned, ruffled, and embellished tops that draw attention to your upper body. You can also choose push-ups for extra volume.
- Light colored tops with straps mid-way across the shoulder.
- Darker bottoms without any embellishments. If you're feeling bold, pick bottoms with a slight scoop.
- Retro pin-up swimsuits look great on you! Pick ones with dark bottoms and ruching across the waist.
- Tankinis with empire waist tops that will optically hide your tummy.
How To Pick a Bikini for the Triangle Body Shape?
If you're a triangle, your upper body is very slim, while your hips are even broader than your shoulders. The trick is to add volume to your upper body and de-emphasize the hips. Make sure to show off your best assets - the legs, beautiful arms, and a flat tummy.
As a triangle, you should wear:
- Patterned, ruffled, and embellished tops that draw attention to your upper body. They work best when paired with dark colored bottoms.
- Swim dresses with an A-line skirt and moderately deep cleavage.
- Strapless bandeau bikini tops are a perfect choice for you. You can also pick padded ones for some more volume.
- Tankinis with light or ruffled busts or empire waist tops.
How To Pick a Bikini for the Inverted Triangle Body Shape?
Inverted triangles have a subtle waist, ample bust and shoulders, and slim hips. You should pick swimsuits that accentuate the lower body and de-emphasize your bust.
As an inverted triangle, you should wear:
- Simple, solid color halter tops with thick straps.
- Dark, simple triangle tops with embellished bottoms or bottoms with side ties.
- One-piece suits with cut-out sides, hip embellishments, and deep necklines. They will help you achieve an hourglass-shape effect.
- Tankinis with a simple halter top and ruffled or embellished bottoms.
- Avoid strapless tops. If you want to show off more body, you can wear tiny string bikini bottoms to show off your great legs!
How To Pick a Bikini for the Rectangle(straight) Body Shape?
This body type has many names: rectangle, straight, boyish. Your body is proportional, but without an accentuated waist. The trick to picking the best bikini is wearing form-fitting clothing around your waist and adding volume both to the upper and lower body.
As a rectangle, you should wear:
- Light colored, patterned and ruffled tops with details such as bows or ties. Pick push-ups for some extra volume.
- Skirted and ruffled bottoms that add volume to your hips. Bottoms with side ties are great for you, too.
- One-piece swimsuits with a criss-cross front that makes your waist appear thinner.
- Tankinis with embellishments around the bust and hips, and with a dark colored waist.